GetDeviceVersion on Windows Mobile 6 and above

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Has anyone else encountered problems calling GetDeviceVersion with Windows Mobile 6 or above.

I created a WorkView because of my problems and the solution I found, but until today there seems to be no response or activity on this.

I would like to know if others had this problem or determined a different work-around for this.

The workview is available here: http://rapi.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5278

Thanks

Update: I forgot to mention that I was getting this problem on my WinXP x86 machine.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM

i got it to work. 

I need to determine if users are connecting with win mobile 2003. if wm5 or 6 then i do something differfent.

it worked beautiful on 32 bit boxes but would cfail on 64 bit boxes.

i had to change my program to run as 32 bit to get it to work.

i dont have the complete details in front of me right now as im not at work and i am replying by phone.

i'll post tomorrow, when i get back.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Sorry for the delay.

Are you still having problems with WM6?

I haven't experienced any problems with WM5 and XP (X86)

One thing that fixed our issues was to do the following:

In VS2008, right click on the project in the Solution Explorer. Choose properties

Click on the Compile tab

On the bottom left there is a button labeled "Advanced Compile Options", click it.

Change the Target CPU to x86.

HTH
David

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Yes, my problem seemed to be specific to communicating with WinMobile 6 devices.
The only other devices that I had to test this with was (Pocket PC) PPC2003 devices and they never had any problem.

Without the workaround/"fix" I developed calling GetDeviceVersion just failed to work at all (raised an error).