Looking for OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.DLL

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I am brand new to using OpenNETCF. I have been trying to learn how I can get files off of my MC1000 Symbol Barcode Reader (WinCE 5.0) onto my desktop using a vb.net application. I have found a lot of discussions on the web that have pointed me to the OpenNETCF Desktop Communication Library. However, the examples I have found say I need to create a reference to the OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.DLL in my project:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms839349.aspx

I first went to www.opennetcf.com to locate the library, and saw the message saying that the library is now on codeplex.com. I found then downloaded OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.zip from codeplex, but it does not include the .dll file. Also, my Visual Studio 2005 complained that the solution file in OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.zip is from a future version of Visual Studio. 

Could someone provide a link to the .dll or, if that is no longer the correct approach, point me to instructions/source for using the library in VB.Net for Visual Studio 2005?

Thank you

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Hi.

As you already noticed its a VS2008 solution. However, just start VS2005 and select to open the "OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.csproj". That should work, and VS automatically creates a solution which contains the project.

To build the .dll:

- select "Release" from the solution configuration.

- right click the  OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication project and select "Rebuild" (probably VS asks you to save the new solution - confirm that)

- the  OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.dll is now located in the "bin/Release" folder of the solution

To use the .dll:

- open your original solution from where you want to access the WinCE5 device

- right click on the project where you want to use the class library and select "Add reference"

- select the "Browse" tab and locate/select  the OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.dll

Now all thats left to do, is to include the namespace with "Imports OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication" in the vb-file where you need the Desktop.Communication library. Now you can use/instantiate the OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication classes like usual

"Dim rapi As New RAPI"

Hope that helped.

Rev

EDIT: And yes, it would probably be a good idea to provide a link to the binary of the latest (stable) release in the download section.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Thank you very much for your instructions. One of the things I was doing wrong was opening "OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.csproj" as a file and not as a project. When I did this, the solution explorer was blank, and all I saw was the xml schema of the project file. I thought this was the result of opening a VS2008 project in VS2005, but after reading your instructions I realized that I must be doing something wrong in the way I was opening "OpenNETCF.Desktop.Communication.csproj".

Anyway, thanks again for your help